Student Enrollment - General Guidelines
The Welcome Center is located at the Lawrence Education & Community Center,
6501 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, IN 46236
Welcome Center Hours - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
317-423-8209 or click to email
- Preschool: Enrollment is available at the office of Early Childhood Education Programs. Please come to the Welcome Center (enter door #3/north side or door #4/south side). Click here for preschool enrollment information and documents.
- K-12 Grade: Families are highly encouraged to complete the student online enrollment application before coming to the Welcome Center. All families will go to the Welcome Center to complete enrollment in MSD of Lawrence Township. (Please see required enrollment documents below.)
- Non-Resident Families - ALL GRADES: You must first complete the Non-Resident Application (links below) before beginning the Enrollment process. Once accepted, you will be notified to complete the Enrollment process in the Welcome Center.
All families enrolling new students must come to the Welcome Center to submit required documentation and receive confirmation that student is enrolled.
Required Enrollment Documents ALL GRADE LEVELS
What to bring with you to enroll your child:
Textbook Rental and Fees
Click here for the textbook rental fees for Grades K - 8 for the 2016-17 school year.
Elementary Magnet Schools (Grades K - 6)
The MSD of Lawrence Township CAP (Computerized Admittance Process), for those residing within the MSD of Lawrence Township boundaries, is CLOSED
for the 2016-2017 school year. Families will have the opportunity to apply for the 2017-2018 school year in late-spring.
The application process for families who reside outside of MSD of Lawrence Township is CLOSED for the 2016-2017 school year. Families will have the opportunity to apply for the 2017-2018 school year in late-spring.
Please be aware that while we work to accommodate as many families as is possible, not all students can be placed. We will place additional students ONLY IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE.
Middle & High Schools (Grades 7 - 12)
A parent/guardian may submit a Middle School or High School enrollment application for a student who:
The application process for families who reside outside of MSD of Lawrence Township is currently closed and will not reopen for the current school year.
The In-District/Resident Transfers for Secondary must be submitted by February 5th.
- Has just moved into the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries and would like to enroll for the first time;
- Currently resides within the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries, is not currently attending a school within the MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to enroll at a middle or high school within the MSD of Lawrence Township.
2017-2018 Middle School Transfer Request (6th-grader transitioning into 7th-Grade)
Click here to proceed to the application form to be completed by the Parent/Legal Guardian of a 6th-grade student who is currently enrolled in and attending a Lawrence Township elementary school, and is requesting that their child attend a different Lawrence Township Middle School from the one to which they are assigned, beginning with grade-7, for the 2017-2018 school year.
2017-2018 Solicitud para transferirse de secundaria para el año escolar (para estudiantes en el 6° grado que están en transición para el 7° grado)
Esta aplicación/solicitud del Distrito Escolar de Lawrence deberá ser llenada por el padre o tutor legal de estudiantes que actualmente están en el 6° grado, atendiendo una escuela primaria del Municipio de Lawrence y que desean que su estudiante atienda una secundaria diferente a la que le corresponde de acuerdo a su dirección para el próximo año escolar del 2017-2018 para el 7°grado.
2017-2018 High School Transfer Request (8th-grader transitioning into 9th-Grade/High School)
Click here to proceed to the application form to be completed by the Parent/Legal Guardian of a 8th-grade student who is currently enrolled in and attending a Lawrence Township middle school, and is requesting that their child attend a different Lawrence Township High School from the one to which they are assigned, beginning with grade-9, for the 2017-2018 school year.
2017-2018 Solicitud para transferirse de preparatoria para el año escolar (para estudiantes en el 8° grado que están en transición para el 9° grado)
Esta aplicación/solicitud del Distrito Escolar de Lawrence deberá ser llenada por el padre o tutor legal de estudiantes que actualmente están en el 8° grado, atendiendo una escuela secundaria del Municipio de Lawrence y que desean que su estudiante atienda una preparatoria diferente a la que le corresponde de acuerdo a su dirección para el próximo año escolar del 2017-2018 para el 9°grado.
Immunization Information You may contact the following location for immunization information or to obtain any immunizations needed. Immunizations are available for children of all ages, for a fee.
Marion County Health Department
6042 East 21st Street
Click here to access the Free and Reduced Lunch Application
McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children
The goal of the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program is to ensure that all children have an equal right to a free, appropriate public education. McKinney Vento addresses barriers related to enrollment, attendance, and the academic success of homeless children and youth.
Students/families must apply and meet certain criteria to be eligible for the McKinney Vento Program. Eligibility is determined by the district McKinney Vento Liaison, Tracy Beer.
Once eligibility has been determined, homeless children and families have the right to:
- Enroll the student, even if they don’t have immediate access to the required paperwork.
- A school placement that is in the best interest of the child. The child may stay at the school they attended when they were permanently housed. This is called the “school of origin.” The child may also attend school in the district where the family is currently staying. The McKinney Vento Liaison will help determine the most feasible and reasonable placement that is in the child’s best interest.
- Transportation to the school of origin, if feasible, until the family has permanent housing.
- Free services including breakfast, lunch, and textbook fees.
- Appeal decisions regarding placement and services. The McKinney-Liaison can assist families with the appeal process.
For more information, please contact Tracy Beer at (317) 423-8338
Link to McKinney-Vento Law
Quick Links for Schools/Teachers
National Association for Education of Homeless Children and Youth
Elementary students will be assigned to their Neighborhood Magnet School at time of enrollment. You may apply for a different magnet school during our open application time. Once the summer CAP (computerized admittance process) is run, the application process will be closed for the school year. You can apply again for the next school year when the application opens again.
Transportation will be provided for all Lawrence Township students who:
- Attend their neighborhood school (applies to all grades); or
- Attend the Elementary Magnet School of their choice so long as it is on the student resident side of the district East / West.
Note: For additional information regarding the neighborhood school for your child, please call the Welcome Center at (317)423-8209.