Student Enrollment - General Guidelines
The Welcome Center is located at the Lawrence Education & Community Center,
6501 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, IN 46236
Welcome Center Hours - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
317-423-8209 or click to email
- Preschool: Enrollment for the 2015-2016 school year is available at the Before & After Care and Preschool office located at LECC, adjacent to the Welcome Center (enter door #3/north side or door #4/south side). Please see below the list of enrollment documents.
- K-8 Grade: All families will go to the Welcome Center to enroll their child into MSD of Lawrence Township. (Please see required enrollment documents below.) Non-Resident Families: You must first complete the Non-Resident Application (link below) before beginning the Enrollment process. Once accepted, you will be notified to complete the Enrollment process in the Welcome Center.
- 9-12 Grade - High School: All Families will begin the enrollment process at the Welcome Center (Please see required documents below). Once the initial enrollment steps are completed, a school representative will contact you directly to schedule an appointment to review the student’s transcript and to develop a schedule. Non-Resident Families: You must first complete the Non-Resident Application (link below) before beginning the Enrollment process.
Online school transfer or non-resident applications are for the 2015-2016 school year only. If you are NEW to the district and are enrolling for the first time and for the current school year, you MUST visit the Welcome Center. Please see required documents and forms below.
Required Enrollment Documents ALL GRADE LEVELS
What to bring with you to enroll your child:
Elementary Magnet Schools (Grades K - 6)
Our elementary magnet catalog provides a description of each of our 11 elementary schools and highlights the unique features of each school.
The application process for current MSD of Lawrence Township students and those residing within the MSD of Lawrence Township boundaries is now CLOSED for the 2015-2016 year. The CAP (Computerized Admittance Process) will open on February 6, 2016 for the 2017 school year.
Click here to review the procedures for applying to attend a magnet school other than your neighborhood school.
Elementary Magnet Application (Grades K - 6) (opens February 6 for the 2017 school year.)
The application process for families who reside outside of MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to apply for enrollment in a MSD of Lawrence Township Elementary School for the 2016-2017 school year will be open from Tuesday, March 8th through Sunday, April 17th.
Please be advised that space is limited. When completing your application, you will be asked if there is a specific school that you would like for your child to attend. While we may be able to find a placement for your student in one of our schools, it may not be at the school you request. We can fulfill your request for placement at a specific elementary ONLY IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE. You will receive an email notification regarding any placement that we are able to offer on or before Friday, April 29th.
Middle & High Schools (Grades 7 - 12)
For the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year, a parent/guardian may submit a Middle School or High School enrollment application for a student who:
- Has just moved into the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries and would like to enroll for the first time: No need to apply online - Please visit the Welcome Center to submit required enrollment forms and documents.
- Currently resides within the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries, is not currently attending a school within the MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to enroll at a middle or high school within the MSD of Lawrence Township. No need to apply online - Please visit the Welcome Center to submit required enrollment forms and documents.
- Currently resides outside the boundaries of the MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to apply to attend a middle or high school within the MSD of Lawrence Township, beginning at the start of the 2016-2017 school year. You may apply online for out of district attendance at an MSD of Lawrence Township school from Tuesday, March 8th through Sunday, April 17th.
FORMS - Please complete the appropriate required forms.
Please Note: If any information provided on the student enrollment form is found to be fraudulent, enrollment in school may be denied/withdrawn.
Immunization Information You may contact the following location for immunization information or to obtain any immunizations needed. Immunizations are available for children of all ages, for a fee.
Marion County Health Department
6042 East 21st Street
Click here to access the Free and Reduced Lunch Application
McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children
The goal of the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program is to ensure that all children have an equal right to a free, appropriate public education. McKinney Vento addresses barriers related to enrollment, attendance, and the academic success of homeless children and youth.
Students/families must apply and meet certain criteria to be eligible for the McKinney Vento Program. Eligibility is determined by the district McKinney Vento Liaison, Tracy Beer.
Once eligibility has been determined, homeless children and families have the right to:
- Enroll the student, even if they don’t have immediate access to the required paperwork.
- A school placement that is in the best interest of the child. The child may stay at the school they attended when they were permanently housed. This is called the “school of origin.” The child may also attend school in the district where the family is currently staying. The McKinney Vento Liaison will help determine the most feasible and reasonable placement that is in the child’s best interest.
- Transportation to the school of origin, if feasible, until the family has permanent housing.
- Free services including breakfast, lunch, and textbook fees.
- Appeal decisions regarding placement and services. The McKinney-Liaison can assist families with the appeal process.
For more information, please contact Tracy Beer at (317) 423-8338
Link to McKinney-Vento Law
Quick Links for Schools/Teachers
National Association for Education of Homeless Children and Youth
Elementary students will be assigned to their Neighborhood Magnet School at time of enrollment. You may apply for a different magnet school during our open application time. Once the summer CAP (computerized admittance process) is run, the application process will be closed for the school year. You can apply again for the next school year when the application opens again.
Check out our catalog to explore all of our Elementary Magnet Schools and their Areas of Focus!
Transportation will be provided for all Lawrence Township students who:
- Attend their neighborhood school (applies to all grades); or
- Attend the Elementary Magnet School of their choice so long as it is on the student resident side of the district East / West.
Note: For additional information regarding the neighborhood school for your child, please call the Welcome Center at (317)423-8209.