Student Enrollment - General Guidelines
The Welcome Center is located at the Lawrence Education & Community Center,
6501 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, IN 46236
Welcome Center Hours - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
317-423-8209 or click to email
- Preschool: Enrollment is available at the office of Early Childhood Education Programs. Please come to the Welcome Center (enter door #3/north side or door #4/south side). Click here for enrollment information and documents.
- K-8 Grade: All families will go to the Welcome Center to enroll their child into MSD of Lawrence Township. (Please see required enrollment documents below.) Non-Resident Families: You must first complete the Non-Resident Application (link below) before beginning the Enrollment process. Once accepted, you will be notified to complete the Enrollment process in the Welcome Center.
- 9-12 Grade - High School: All Families will begin the enrollment process at the Welcome Center (Please see required documents below). Once the initial enrollment steps are completed, a school representative will contact you directly to schedule an appointment to review the student’s transcript and to develop a schedule. Non-Resident Families: You must first complete the Non-Resident Application (link below) before beginning the Enrollment process.
Online school transfer or non-resident applications are for the 2016-2017 school year only. If you are NEW to the district and are enrolling for the first time and for the current school year, you MUST visit the Welcome Center. Please see required documents and forms below.
Required Enrollment Documents ALL GRADE LEVELS
What to bring with you to enroll your child:
Elementary Magnet Schools (Grades K - 6)
Our elementary magnet catalog provides a description of each of our 11 elementary schools and highlights the unique features of each school.
The MSD of Lawrence Township CAP (Computerized Admittance Process), for those residing within the MSD of Lawrence Township boundaries, is CLOSED for the 2016-2017 school year. Families who have already applied for the 2016-2017 school year will receive e-mail notification regarding whether or not your student has been placed on/before July 1, 2016.
Application Process for Families Residing Outside MSDLT Boundaries
The application process for families who reside outside of MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to apply for enrollment in a MSD of Lawrence Township Elementary School for the 2016-2017 school year will remain open May 10th through June 5th .
Please be advised that space is limited. When completing your application, you will be asked if there is a specific school that you would like for your child to attend. While we may be able to find a placement for your student in one of our schools, it may not be at the school you request. We can fulfill your request for placement at a specific elementary ONLY IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE.
Although applications will be accepted May 10th through June 5th , families will not receive notification regarding elementary placement until early-July.
The Elementary Nonresident Transfer Application process will remain open through June 5th. click here ⇒ MSDLT Non-Resident Elementary School Transfer Request
Middle & High Schools (Grades 7 - 12)
For the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year, a parent/guardian may submit a Middle School or High School enrollment application for a student who:
- Has just moved into the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries and would like to enroll for the first time: No need to apply online - Please visit the Welcome Center to submit required enrollment forms and documents.
- Currently resides within the MSD of Lawrence Township enrollment boundaries, is not currently attending a school within the MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to enroll at a middle or high school within the MSD of Lawrence Township. No need to apply online - Please visit the Welcome Center to submit required enrollment forms and documents.
- Currently resides outside the boundaries of the MSD of Lawrence Township and would like to apply to attend a middle or high school within the MSD of Lawrence Township, beginning at the start of the 2016-2017 school year. Application is currently open through June 5th. click here ⇒ MSDLT Non-Resident (Grades 7-12) School Transfer Request (Middle and High School students who applied during the March 8th – April 17th window should receive e-mail notification by Friday, April 22nd.)
Enrollment for Students Enrolling for NEXT (2016-17) School Year
Enrollment for the 2016-2017 is completed online.
New families enrolling for the 2016 - 2017 school year need to visit the link below to create an MSDLT Skyward username and password. Once an account is created, families can complete the online enrollment process.
Families that already have a Lawrence Township Skyward User name and need to enroll a new student for the 2016-2017 school year can enroll by clicking here to go to the skyward website and completing the enrollment online.
All families enrolling new students for the 2016-2017 school year must come to the Welcome Center to submit required documentation and receive confirmation that student is enrolled.
Enrollment for Students Enrolling for THIS (2015-16) School Year
Please complete the appropriate required forms.
Please Note: If any information provided on the student enrollment form is found to be fraudulent, enrollment in school may be denied/withdrawn.
Immunization Information You may contact the following location for immunization information or to obtain any immunizations needed. Immunizations are available for children of all ages, for a fee.
Marion County Health Department
6042 East 21st Street
Click here to access the Free and Reduced Lunch Application
McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children
The goal of the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program is to ensure that all children have an equal right to a free, appropriate public education. McKinney Vento addresses barriers related to enrollment, attendance, and the academic success of homeless children and youth.
Students/families must apply and meet certain criteria to be eligible for the McKinney Vento Program. Eligibility is determined by the district McKinney Vento Liaison, Tracy Beer.
Once eligibility has been determined, homeless children and families have the right to:
- Enroll the student, even if they don’t have immediate access to the required paperwork.
- A school placement that is in the best interest of the child. The child may stay at the school they attended when they were permanently housed. This is called the “school of origin.” The child may also attend school in the district where the family is currently staying. The McKinney Vento Liaison will help determine the most feasible and reasonable placement that is in the child’s best interest.
- Transportation to the school of origin, if feasible, until the family has permanent housing.
- Free services including breakfast, lunch, and textbook fees.
- Appeal decisions regarding placement and services. The McKinney-Liaison can assist families with the appeal process.
For more information, please contact Tracy Beer at (317) 423-8338
Link to McKinney-Vento Law
Quick Links for Schools/Teachers
National Association for Education of Homeless Children and Youth
Elementary students will be assigned to their Neighborhood Magnet School at time of enrollment. You may apply for a different magnet school during our open application time. Once the summer CAP (computerized admittance process) is run, the application process will be closed for the school year. You can apply again for the next school year when the application opens again.
Check out our catalog to explore all of our Elementary Magnet Schools and their Areas of Focus!
Transportation will be provided for all Lawrence Township students who:
- Attend their neighborhood school (applies to all grades); or
- Attend the Elementary Magnet School of their choice so long as it is on the student resident side of the district East / West.
Note: For additional information regarding the neighborhood school for your child, please call the Welcome Center at (317)423-8209.