Skip To Main Content

IN Purple Star

US Military services banner for Indiana Purple Star

Indiana Purple Star

The Indiana Purple Star School Designation from the Indiana Department of Education honors schools that have displayed a significant commitment to service members, veterans, and students and families connected to our Nation’s Military. Scroll below for a variety of resources for those connected to our Military.

City of Lawrence Blue Star Nominee Form 

Click here for information on Indiana Homeless Shelters

Veteran Assistance Programs

Click the Program Names below to learn more about these organizations and to go to their website.

Military Family Relief Fund

Phone: 317-232-3910

  • Must have Honorable Discharge
  • Must have 12 months of qualifying military service.
  • Must have served during a national conflict or war time period.
  • Does Serve Guard Members
  • Up to $2500 (one time assistance)
VFW Unmet Needs

Phone: 1-866-789-6333

  • Must be facing a financial hardship as a direct result of your military service connected injuries or illness.
  • Must have VA Disability
  • Can Assist up to $5,000 (pays directly to creditor. Will not pay to applicant)
American Legion 

Phone: 317-630-1300
A qualifying Veteran is defined as a member of the United States armed Forces serving on Federal Orders current under Title 10, OR Veteran possessing an up-to-date membership in the American Legion.

Helping Heroes of American 

Phone: 844-585-8184

  • DD214 / Proof of Service
  • ID
  • A letter of Hardship (provided by Case Manger or Social Worker)
  • Emergency Assistance only (Disconnection or Eviction Notice)
  • Proof of Financial Request of Two separate non-profit groups.
  • Can assist up to $2,000
Our Forgotten Warriors 
  • Provides assistance to Disabled Service Members, Veterans, and their Families.
  • Will assist with Rental Assistance, Groceries, Utilities, Clothing, Mortgage, Auto Payments, Auto Repair, Child and Dependent Care, Dental, Vision, Home Items, Food Assistance, Home Repair, Other.
  • Will provide assistance with Disability Claims, Service Dog Assistance, Raise in Discharge Status, Access to Health Care, PTSD Treatment, Military Record Request, Appeals to VA Decisions, etc. Must Apply Online.
Operation Home Front 
  • Provides financial assistance for overdue bills, repairs, auto payments, child and dependent care, Dental, food assistance, medical, moving and relocation, rent and mortgage, travel and transportation, utilities, home repairs, Vision.
  • Must have actively served post 9/11 and suffered a post 9/11 wound, illness. or iniurv in the line of duty.
  • Must have a Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge.
  • Can help Active and Deployed Service Members and Families. Must Apply Online
USA Cares
  • Financial and Advocacy Assistance to post — 9/11 Active Duty Military Personal, Veterans, and their Families.
  • Can assist with Mortgages, Utilities, Rent, etc.
Honor Bound Foundation
  • Must be requested by a Social Worker or Case Manager
  • Honorable Discharge
  • Months Active Duty
  • Letter of Need from Case Manager or Social Worker
  • Rent or Utilities
  • Only up to $500 (lifetime)
PenFed Foundation

(Military Heroes — Emergency Financial Assistance)

  • Must be OIF/OEF Veteran
  • Must have VA Disability Rating
  • Honorable Discharge
  • Must be facing a short-term (1-2 months) financial setback.
Semper Fi Fund

Phone: 760-725-3680

  • Provides immediate financial assistance and lifetime support to post-9/11 combat wounded, critically ill, and catastrophically injured members of all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Website has sections including information on the below mentioned, and many more.
  • Service Member and Family Support
  • Housing Assistance (repairs / updates to make handicap accessible)
    • Needs Based Financial Support due to long hospitalizations or rehabilitation.
    • Service Dog Programs
  • Transition Programs
    • Vet 2 Vet Support
  • Education and Career Assistance
    • Apprenticeship Programs
Final Salute Inc:

Women Veterans Only

  • H.O.M.E. — Housing Outreach Mentorship Encouragement Program
    • Provides transition housing, on-site case management, food, clothing, transportation, child care subsidy/assistance, employment support, and other essentials.
    • Must have an Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions Discharge.
    • Must be willing to adhere to terms of the Resident Agreement and 2Year Plan for Independence.
  • S.A.F.E. — Saving Assessment and Financial Education Program
    • Proof of Veteran Status
    • Copies of Bills that you need assistance with.
    • Military ID (if Reserve or Guard)
Operation First Response

Phone: 888-289-0280

  • Assist wounded Service member/DisabIed Veterans.
Indiana's Hardest Hit Fund (HHF)


  • Must be an Indiana homeowner.
  • Own only one home, and currently reside in that home.
  • Have a past-due mortgage payments because of an involuntary employment-related financial hardship (such as a previous job layoff that occurred on or after Jan. 1, 2015).
  • Be able to make current mortgage payments, but unable to pay past due balance.
  • Meet additional eligibility requirements based on income.
American Addiction Centers (AAC)


Active Military Branch Aid Resources

Marine Corp:
Air Force:
Coast Guard:
Space Force:

Indiana Guard Relief Fund Application

Family Support

The American Legion Family Support Network:
Families can request assistance from local American Legion Family members by calling the toll-free number or filling out an online application. 

Financial Assistance

The American Legion Temporary Finanical Assistance Program:
These grants help families in need meet the cost of shelter, food, utilities and health expenses, thereby keeping the child or children in a more stable environment. Contact your local American Legion post or department of Indiana headquarters. -
(317) 630-1300

Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs
Military Family Relief Fund COVID-19 Special Application

Indiana Unemployment Application:


Food Assistance: 
Find out how to get food in case of an emergency, apply for food stamps and what free or low-cost food programs are available for infants, children and seniors. Learn about rule changes during the corona virus emergency. Click for information on Free Food Programs

Immediate Food Aid:
If you're hungry now:
Call the USDA National Hunger Hotline - 1-866-348-6479
Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM Eastern Time.

Meals on Wheels Indy:
(No age restriction. Physician must provide a diet prescription. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify) meaisonwheelsindyorg - 317-252-5558

Housing housing help for veterans who are older, homeless, or who have a disability.

Indiana Assistance

Emergency Housing:
Dial 211


Helping Hoosiers:
2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps Hoosiers across Indiana find the local resources they need:

Healthcare / Mental Health


Indiana County Veterans Service Offices:
The County Veterans Service Offices are a local point of contact for veterans in their county to assist with all veteran issues.

Vet to Vet Assistance:

VA Suicide Hotline - 1800-273-8255
NVF Lifeline for Vets - 1-888-777-4443
National Suicide Hotline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Stop Soldier Suicide - 1800-273-8255 #1