ESSER III Requirements
ESSER III provides funding to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) through Section 2001 of the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) Fund, to address the impact of COVID-19 on elementary and secondary schools.
Per statute, an Local Education Agency (LEA) must include specific information how addresses how it will maintain student and staff health and safety and how it will ensure continuity of services for social-emotional needs, as well as how it meets Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance, to the greatest extent possible, regarding the following:
- Masks: Masks are optional for all students PreK-12 and staff while indoors or on the school bus, regardless of vaccination status.
- Modifying facilities to allow for physical distancing: Consideration will be made for the physical space within school buildings.
- Handwashing and respiratory etiquette: Frequent handwashing and the use of hand sanitizer will be encouraged. Signage is posted in all district facilities encouraging proper handwashing and respiratory etiquette.
- Cleaning and maintaining healthy facilities, including improving ventilation: The MSD of Lawrence Township has implemented an enhanced cleaning plan. Students and staff will have access to hand sanitizer and steps have been taken to increase air quality in all buildings.
Click here to read the district enhanced cleaning protocols.
- Contact tracing in combination with isolation and quarantine will take place at the direction of state and local health departments.
- Diagnostic and screening tests: Testing will take place under the direction and guidance of the Marion County Public Health Department. Staff members can contact the district wellness clinic for testing.
- Efforts to provide vaccinations to the school community: The MSD of Lawrence Township encourages all who are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccination and has hosted several on-site clinic sin partnership with Community Health Network and CareSource. Area clinics have been shared through social media/newsletters, and there is a permanent link to the Indiana Department of Health website which provides a comprehensive lists of available vaccines and vaccination sites. Click here to access the COVID-19 vaccination opportunities page.
- Appropriate accommodations for children with disabilities with respect to health and safety policies: Individual implications of COVID-19 for students with either a 504 or Individualized Education Plan (IEP) will be discussed and decided through parent meetings, case conferences, teacher of record communication, etc.
- Coordination with state and local officials: All COVID-19 developments are monitored closely. The MSD of Lawrence Township will be vigilant and will not hesitate to make changes, should they be needed. We remain devoted to our values and our mission of educating all students through innovation and dedication. Any positive cases are reported by the school district the the Marion County Public Health Department. Should the positivity rate in an individual building reach a point of required intervention, action will likely be taken district-wide.